Monday, September 21, 2009

Nintendo Wii Screenshots: Cars Mater National

Cars Mater National is based on the characters of Disney's Cars, but it is not based on the movie. Rather it is just set in Radiator Springs and is about a Mater National big racing event. It includes racing and some mini games. It is an okay game for a few days of play, but I was not impressed with it.

The graphics are pretty amazing as far as Wii games go and the characters look very much like they do in the movie. The cut scenes are sadly the highlight, though. Sorry, but great animation does not make a good game. Nor does it even make up for poor gameplay, which plagues this game.

The main issue I have with this game is it is a Wii racing game for the most part, but yet it uses the nunchuck joystick for controlling the car instead of the method of having the Wii remote sideways. I really hate joysticks, especially for fast paced moving around like in a racing game. I still have always loved racing games and not having to use the joystick is what I love about the Wii and most racing games. This just totally goes against using the Wii's technology and makes it basically just an import for all systems without considering the unique abilities of each system. Most disappointing is I think the Cars game actually based on the first movie (yes, a second one is coming) did use the sideways way of control.

I could live with it if the joystick was the only down, but it is not. My other big issue is that the control responsiveness is very poor. It is very slow in turning and such to the point of frustration. Also, many of the courses do not always make it clear what way you are suppose to be going on and forks in the road occur that are confusing at first or at least to me it was.

Overall it was not to bad of a rental and I do not regret renting it, but I really expected it to be more enjoyable and a game I would not want to return so quickly. The only okay part is that it has some uniqueness and the whole driving around Radiator Springs to the different events is interesting. The mini games are interesting for the most part and the relay race is an unique take on racing.

Click on the thumbnails below to see a larger version of the screenshots.



No comments: