Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nintendo 3DS Screenshots: Unboxing and First Impressions

Today my 3DS arrived. I pre-ordered it on Amazon the day they announced the pricing and it could first be pre-ordered. I did not really care about getting a good deal in terms of extras with the system, as I had over $100 in Amazon gift cards to help pay for it. I was pleasantly surprised that in the end I also got a $25 off a 3DS game and a free 3DS accessory credits. I did not plan on getting any of the current games, as none totally appealed to me, but with $25 off it was worthwhile to yesterday order Super Monkey Ball 3D, especailly since I also had $10 from pre-ordering Pokemon Black earlier this month.



I expected my 3DS to arrive tomorrow, so it was a pleasant surprise to see two Amazon boxes (my bro pre-ordered the black one) with today's mail this morning. I quickly opened up my Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS and got to setting it up. The set up process is easy, although it always takes a few extra minutes to add a long wireless network password.



The longest part of the set up process seemed to be finding the stylus. I am so used to it being on the side that it took me a while to think that it could come out of the top. It is right next to the cartridge slot, which is a placement I do not like. It is much more convenient on the side. However, I do like that it is short and it expands out easily. Not useful to me short, but just kind of fun to slide it to be bigger, although I wonder about the durability of this feature.

The 3D aspect is apparent from the start as even the set up and menu utilizes it. It is pretty cool, especially since you do not need glasses for it.



The charging station it comes with it totally awesome.  I love just plopping the 3DS in it and it charges.  So easy and efficient.  You can still charge with the cord, which is good for portability sake and travel, but for day to day use the charging station is perfect, especially since it encourages you to leave your 3DS in sleep mode to take with you and record your daily activity with the pedometer and utilize StreetPass.



Not sure if I will use it, but the game note feature sounds interesting. You can access it for games that allow suspended mode.

When I heard the 3DS was going to have a joystick I was kind of leary of the idea. I am not a big fan of joystick controls. However, I have found that I like the style of it on the 3DS, which I think is similar to the PSP, but it seems much bigger. It seems quite seemless to operate, but I still am unsure of if I will like it when playing actual games.

Overall I love my Nintendo 3DS and I do not even have any of the 3DS cartridge games, yet. I am, however, slightly disappointed in the Aqua Blue color. It is a little greener and more teal/turquoise than I expected. Still prefer it to the black, though, so my bro and I can easily tell our's apart. The stylus location is also something I need to get used to.

My first impressions are continued in parts focusing on some of the built in titles/features:
Click thumbnails below for some more photos/screenshots of my unboxing and setting up my Nintendo 3DS.



2 comments:

Dalton Wordlaw said...

Hmm, if you playe games that heavily utilize the joystick like Dissidia: Final Fantasy, then you can get more accustomed to playing games with it. That will be especially useful now that 3D games will get to utilize it more often than the D-pad. So anyway, how do you find the 3D aspect of this handheld so far?

wildcat1001 said...

I like the 3D aspect, although I have mainly only seen it in action with the movie and video game trailers. It is much better than half of the 3D movies I have seen and no need for the stupid glasses that do not work well over my glasses. There really are not any games out that I even want to try other than LEGO Pirates, which I finally got as a rental yesterday. I am waiting on Mario Kart to buy a 3DS game.