Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

This morning my pre-ordered expedited shipping Wii U from Target finally came.  I just finished setting it up and am now waiting for the update to finish, which I hear can take a while, so I figured I might as well share my unboxing and initial set up photos now.

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Wii U Deluxe Set Box

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

The two cardboard trays of stuff inside the Wii U Deluxe Set Box

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

The Wii U Gamepad - It seems so huge, but surprisingly comfortable to hold, although as someone always intimidated by PS3 and Xbox controllers and all there buttons I worry about something with a two L and R buttons!

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Turning the system on for the first time

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Syncing the Gamepad with the console

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Interesting method of touching the symbols as they appear on TV to sync the Gamepad

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Selecting the language using the Gamepad for set up

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Now that it is synced, the Gamepad can turn the system off

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Asking if I want to set up the TV remote. Considering I never had a remote for my TV I was excited to discover this was an option.

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

TV Remote screen on Wii U Gamepad.  I absolutely love it because I can control my TV and my DirecTV box with it.  I had set up my DirecTV remote to most of this, but it was really frustrating I could not change TV input with it.  It would seem how hard is it to walk to the TV and change input, but I kind of tend to stack junk around the side of the dresser my TV is on making it hard to access the input buttons.  Now I can easily switch between TV and Wii inputs with the Gamepad.
Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Checking for update after I set up the Internet, which was done by taking the Gamepad upstairs where I keep the WiFi password.  The Gamepad lost connection with the Wii U when I did this, but I found if I stood in the bedroom above mine instead of the office I was close enough to input the password.  Nice to not have to bring password down and then take it back up, although I kind of expected better distance for it to stay connected, as it would seem if I put the Wii U in my Great Room and tried to control it to watch video stuff on the Wii U while playing Guild Wars 2 on the PC in the study it may end up being too far away to stay connected, as it disconnected when I was by my brother's room, which is about same distance measurement as that scenario.

Wii U: Unboxing and Initial Set Up

Downloading the update, which has now gotten to be about halfway done while I did this post (~20 to 30 minutes)

No comments: