Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My First Thoughts on Nintendo Video for 3DS

I really like the idea of the Nintendo Video addition to the 3DS and was happy to finally have WiFi and be able to download it from the eShop. However, the actual content and way it works I am unsure about.

It is expected to have comedy, music videos, movie trailers, and animation released on it. The idea of it all in 3D is awesome, but really only the movie trailers interest me. I am not much into comedy and animation. Music videos might be nice, but I mainly only like country and doubt that will be seen much if at all.

I like that the content can be automatically downloaded when your 3DS is in sleep mode and in range of WiFi. This is especially great while I am traveling and it automatically does it when it is around an AT&T hotspot (McDonalds are great for this!). Of course, at home it will also find new stuff this way.

What I am unsure about liking, though, is the process of new content replacing older downloads. For one, you want the thing on SpotPass to discover new content when it is available, but at the same time do you really want it if it is unpredictable and it could replace something you still wanted to watch. This is especially a problem if you might not check often and stuff gets removed before you even see it once. Currently, I have 4 videos all dated July 21, and if that is all you can have at one time it is rather extremely limited.

No comments: