Sunday, May 6, 2012

Nintendo DS Screenshots: thinkSMART

I like the concept of much of thinkSMART, but the actual gameplay is overall quite annoying and disappointing.  For example, I like that it is more than just math as it has some verbal stuff, but the analogies are set up as just the words next to and on top of each other with no clear saying what goes with what.  Sure, the instructions probably say and it is rather obvious, but at the same time it is like a distracting eye sore to see it set up so poorly.
The analogy thing is actually not that bad when compared to the Find in the Missing Word activity.  That one is a total mess.  It basically presents a total gibberish phrase and you have to guess what word is missing in a jumble of words.  For example, it presents the words "learn before you to walk" and the answer is run.  I guess it could be seen as a good challenge, but where are the easy things to ease you into the challenge?

The only thing not too challenging was the math stuff, but maybe just because that is more my thing.  I still got annoyed with it, though, as I had problems with it turning my writing into the numbers I wanted.

Overall, I would not recommend thinkSMART to anyone.  There are just too many issues with the game mechanics and not just the challenge.  I guess if you have great patience and are a genius this is good, but even then I doubt it would be interesting.

No comments: