Saturday, April 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2: My Intial Thoughts about Half through 1st Beta Weekend

Since the servers are down, I thought now would be a good time to share my initial thoughts on Guild Wars 2 as it is now nearing halfway through the first public beta weekend.

Pros:
  • Gaining XP from Everything: You can gain XP from all kinds of actions from gathering wood (axes on specific trees), unlocking points of interest, unlocking waypoints (basically portals that you can than transport back to), completing group or world events (yeah, and sometimes I do like nothing other than be in the right place at the right time), and of course completing quests and killing enemies
  • Instances: At first it was weird having other people out in what is like the environment part of Guild Wars, but in the end it is cool as others can revive you (yes, XP is gained for you reviving others!) without you needing to have a formal party.  Plus, you can have a lot of help with group and world events.
  • Group Events: Great way for some more XP.  Depending on how well the group mission is done, you get Gold, Silver, or Bronze and more or less XP and rewards.  Sometimes it seems based on your active participation, but other times I just wander into the area of the event and seem to be rewarded Gold level on completion.
  • Switching Skills: You can easily switch skills right from the skill bar.  This also means you can do the switching wherever you are, although I have tried when in battle.  However, see cons below as I also have some skill cons.
Cons
  • No Click to Move: I still am having trouble getting used to not being able to click on a guy and go to them or attack.  Definite con that I hope changes.
  • Armor Repair/Naked: Okay, admittedly this is kind of funny, especially when playing in person with others and hearing and making the comments, but it is also kind of annoying to have to keep repairing.  I guess it is like death penalty, so something I do not totally mind, but more a negative than a positive.
  • Party Set Up: It is weird that I can be in the same party as someone, yet in two different lands or sometimes instances.  Makes it hard to do stuff together with friends, although the blue dot is nice to see even when we are far away from each other and want to try to join back up.  Hoping districts and such exist in final release, so you really can have parties and do missions together easily.
  • Unlocking Skills Slots: You do not start with all skill slots, but rather you have to unlock them at certain levels.  I sure do not remember this with the original Guild Wars and do not like it.  Also, kind of weird getting used to the fact that most are tied to what weapon you are using and spending on your set up you might have less than the max 5 of the left side skills.
  • Skills Slot Specific: Yeah, you can easily switch what is in the slot, but kind of odd that I cannot put one of my slot 6 skills (currently purchased 3) in my slot 7 spot.  Sure, eventually I will probably get something better for there, but does seem to leave the need for more constant skill setting up, which I have never been much into considering I rarely mess with mine in the original, although I really ought to better maximize my capabilities better in that one.
That's it for now.  Hoping servers are back up soon, as I am really enjoying it so far.

What are your thoughts on Guild Wars 2 so far?

No comments: