Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vistas in Guild Wars 2 - Interesting, Challenging, and/or Annoying?

Guild Wars 2 Vistas
This weekend I am playing some Guild Wars 2 as part of the final beta weekend before the game comes out next month.  I started as a Sylari this time, as it appeals to me the most and this is the first beta weekend it was an option.  The first new thing I noticed was an odd double triangle symbol as part of the things for map completion.  This symbol stands for Vistas.

Guild Wars 2 Vistas

Vistas are kind of like Points of Interests and Waypoints in that you complete them by reaching them, although you actually interact and see a cutscene to make them count as completed.  Unlike waypoints and most points of interests, though, they are mostly jumping challenges.  Basically, you have to use jumping to follow the path up to them.  I found a couple in the Caledon Forest that were easy, but all the others I have encountered have proved annoying and frustrating.

Guild Wars 2 Vistas

I guess it is kind of nice that the Vistas bring more purpose to jumping being in the new Guild Wars game, but to me it is just plain annoying.  There is a reason I tend to give up on platform games and do not like them.  I just plain stink at jumping.  It pretty much does not matter the game.  I just cannot seem to time jumping right or control the character correctly midair.  I guess I will be wasting hours trying to complete maps when Guild Wars 2 is officially out or just consider them completed personally by ignoring the vista part.

What do you think of Vistas?  Do jumping challenges so integral to completion belong in a MMORPG?

No comments: